Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Me Time...

Our night. This single star stood out in the 
black night of our backyard heaven. 

Today I am not where I want to be. I don't mean physically, which is our simple ranch home in the suburbs of New Jersey. Nor do I mean in terms of my career, which by day is a sales executive. I also don't mean with regards to my family life, which I am extremely thankful for. I mean, in terms of my inner self. Me.

I go through these mental exercises all day, every day. My thoughts race from one lane to another into a never ending land of goals and plans. Plans for today, plans for tomorrow, plans for the season. Events with my children, events with my husband, events with the whole family. Things that I need to clean, replace, purchase, or sell.

These days, I find myself pondering about my inner self. My spirit. I think this gradual shift we've adopted of healthier living is making me realize that not only do I need to care for my physical body, but I need to care for my spiritual body.

I consider myself a spiritual type person. Type meaning, I am a believer in Christ and believe in my salvation through Him. I believe I'm saved because He is so loving and merciful that He forgave me and took me into His family. I'm not clever enough or witty enough to have earned His love, mercy and salvation on my own. Nor do I pray enough, give enough or work hard enough to believe I could have possibly won his favor. I believe that I will see Him one day in Heaven. And that my family will be right by my side.

I'm finding that the spiritual part of my body, where my beliefs reside, needs some attention. It needs Time. Me Time. A personal down time where my mind can get off the race track of life, park itself and refuel. A place where I can be Still. Where I don't have to think of all the plans and goals yet to be reached. A place where my mind can be Silent. Where the important virtues of God's great plan can begin to seep into my pores, values of loving and being loved. Caring and being cared for. Giving and receiving.

Today I'm concluding this holistic living doesn't mean the same thing for everyone. At least not for me. It is becoming a lifestyle where we are becoming healthier in our bodies but also in our souls. So the racing thoughts begin resurfacing as I ponder how to incorporate healthier living choices for me and my family, but most importantly, opportunities to strengthen our spiritual health. The race begins unfolding in my mind into thoughts of more meditation, more reading of the Bible, more, more, more...

I try to put the mental brakes on my racing thoughts just for the moment and sit still.
Time. Me Time...

2 comments:

  1. Totally! I'm glad to see that your new lifestyle and hobby (blogging/writing) is opening you up to realizing that being a good mom means being good to yourself. The blog I'm working on today refers to this and how those fancy French people have this idea of a "balanced life" down cold! Love the picture and your thoughtful words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! You are so right..this writing does a lot of wonderful things for my mind...and I totally agree with your sentiment. :-)

      Delete