Monday, April 2, 2012

Chiropractically Converted


I was a Chiropractic virgin. Never went to one. Never believed in them.

"I never go, because they become addictive. Then you always have to go."
Right?

Hmmmm, makes me think of all the other addictive things I would do to feel healthy. That's right. Feel. Not Be. Feel.

Excedrin migraine. Tylenol PM. Caffeine. Caffeine. Did I mention caffeine? Chocolate. Oooh Chocolate. My friend. My best friend. Chocolate was always within arms reach. Always seemed to make everything seem ok. Just a touch on my lips would send my mind spiraling down a path of instant satisfaction.

Seems a little sad to think that these seemingly innocent vices helped me cope. My constant headaches and lethargy were easily cured with any of the above solo, or on a bad day, combo! So I now ask myself, were these my addictions?

I took the plunge last week and went to my first chiropractic appointment. I had taken Daniel previously for his neck pain but never dared go myself. To be honest, I was scared. I hate the sound of bones popping or cracking and couldn't fathom a doctor popping or cracking any of my own. But, with the improvement in Daniel's health since his visits last month, I decided it was my turn.

Daniel held my hand as we walked into Dr. Tom's office. Doc greeted us with a big friendly smile. Daniel gave him a high five and went off to play in the kiddie corner. I sat in the kiddie corner, feeling like one myself and nervously shook my legs, waiting my turn.

"Marilyn, you can go to the back room."

The back room? As in, my back? As in, are they going to crack my back?

I took Daniel's hand and we walked down the hallway together to my room. As we waited, Daniel joyfully played with the skeleton in the room and laughed pretending it was a monster that was going to eat him.

Me: Hmmmph, yes papa, you're silly. That's a scary monster.
       Daniel, I'm scared.

D:  Why mommy?

Me: I'm afraid of what the doctor is going to do to me.

D: Don't be scared mommy. It doesn't hurt.

Dr. Tom then walks in and proceeds to review all of my test results from a previous visit where he simply took my X-rays and scans. He began describing each test, what was considered "normal" and what my spine looked like. Definitely not normal. In fact, my upper spine was so out of whack I'm surprised my head wasn't collapsing forward every time I walked a step. Based on the results, my upper spine was 82 degrees off from where it should be aligned.

Dr. Tom: You get a lot of headaches, don't you?

Me: Yes.

Doc: I'm surprised you don't have worse symptoms.

Me: You mean, like my neck cracking every time I sit. I guess that's not normal?

Doc: ...........No........ No, that's not normal.

Me: oh. hmmm. And my neck pain. Is that related?

Doc: Most definitely.

I took a deep breath in, followed by a deep and robust exhale out. Similar to how I tell Daniel to breathe when he's angry. Calm down. Calm down Marilyn. I mentally prepared myself for the inevitable. My bones popping and cracking.

Doc patiently showed me some exercises to do in another room, adjacent to the one we were in. I waited there and did the exercises for about 15 minutes.

Then, he summoned me. It was my turn. I was up.

I laid on the table and Daniel came by side. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply.
Pop.
Crack.
"Ouch!"
Pop.
Crack.
"Urghh..."
Crack.
Hmmph.

All done. I made it! I made it and felt strangely relieved. I feel somewhat optimistic today. Hopeful even. I haven't slept better. My mood has been great. And I'm reading that chiropractic visits can actually help leverage my body's health and immune system. That would be awesome. But for now, I'm focusing on fixing my spinal alignment so that my headaches can eventually subside. Now that, would be great!
Be forewarned, this clip is in Spanish. My conversation with Daniel about how nervous I was. Daniel reassured me he was going to show me how to do it. As soon as Doc opened the door, Daniel ducks down to hide from him!
Image above from http://www.backpainoconnor.com/demophysreal.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment