Friday, May 25, 2012

Locally Grown.

A few months ago, I really didn't have a preference whether or not my produce was organic or not. I didn't care if it was grown on a local farm or if it was shipped here from South America. As long as it was cheap and attractive, it was going in my shopping cart.

Then, The Daily Green began circulating their research on the dirty dozen - a list of the top 12 fruits and vegetables that are most impacted by the chemicals and pesticides used by larger farms abroad. The list includes:

1. apples
2. celery
3. strawberries
4. peaches
5. spinach
6. nectarines
7. grapes
8. sweet bell peppers
9. potatoes
10. blueberries
11. lettuce
12. kale and collard greens

I was pretty convinced that I would make it a point to buy the dirty dozen organic. So I did, and secretly began patting myself on the back. But just as I patted, I realized, what about local farms in New Jersey? Should I be considering them for some of this produce also? And so control-freak, analytical, make-everything-a-mock-trial questionnaire Marilyn, began research on locally grown foods. And here is what I found. Local foods:

1. are fresher and last longer
2. are seasonal and taste better
3. have less environmental impact
4. preserve green space and farmland
5. promote food safety
6. support your local economy
7. promote variety
8. create community
9. don't contain harmful chemicals and pesticides

In Middlesex County alone there are at least eight local farms. The website www.visitnjfarms.org lists them by county. And so this weekend we decided to take a stab at Giamerese Farms, a farm we visit annually for pumpkin picking. Success! The kids loved picking (and eating) their own strawberries. In fact, I couldn't get one of the guilty culprits to stop eating...take a guess who?



 












No comments:

Post a Comment