Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Absolute Craziness with Dr. Oz...


Ok, so I began my little holistic journey as a concerned mom for the sake of my kids' health back 3-4 weeks ago today. And as part of my journey, I subscribed to a bunch of "healthy" Facebook pages, one of which included Dr. Oz. I've seen his show, respect his views, and thought I could certainly learn a lot reading his posts. So I do just that. Log onto his page and fill out some information hoping to get tickets to his show. Lo and behold, the producers of the show call me and ask me to be on the show. Not in the audience. In the show. In a segment about immunity boosting foods! How crazy and ironic is that?

I did a small supermarket challenge segment along with two lovely girls yesterday, Kasey from Jersey and Jen from South Carolina. Poor Jen. She seemed so out of her element. It think she flinched every time a taxi cab drove by. Kasey went first, then Jen, then me! They "mic" me up (the term they used) and gave me clear instructions. "We will hand you an envelope. You will open it and look surprised. Show the camera your letter and rummage through the supermarket trying to find an immunity boosting food that begins with the letter."

"Ok, that sounds pretty easy", I thought. I walk in very confident and look into the camera, smile big and slowly open my envelope. W. The letter W. What in the world is edible that begins with the letter W, forget about the immunity boosting part. I scurry through the tiny-NYC-one lane aisled natural supermarket with a camera in my face and begin the hunt. The first thing I found was the only thing I could think of that would make sense...wheat grass juice. It's green. Looks gross. Must be healthy. We wrap up the shot and I return to the studio the next day to shoot the actual show and results with Dr. Oz, along with other guests.

After shooting most of the show, it was my turn to get on stage with Dr. Oz and reveal my fabulous choice of wheatgrass juice. I hand him the juice and smile big into the camera. Buzzzz...the buzzer goes off as Dr. Oz says very boldly "Sorry. You're wrong. It's Watermelon." Watermelon? I thought that was dessert. And isn't it made up of water and sugar?

I learned a few things today. One, Dr. Oz looks older in person. Two, I love being on camera. And three, watermelon is healthy! Just so bizarre how life can be. One day I'm scarfing down donuts and chocolate and the next, I'm appearing on the Dr. Oz show learning about healthy food choices. Absolute craziness!

No comments:

Post a Comment