Friday, March 23, 2012

Mr. Incredible...


Mr. Incredible makes me think of an amazing superhero with awesome superpowers. The type of superpowers that can move a building, fly through the air, and rescue the most distressed damsel. Kind of reminds me of my husband David. We've been together for 15 years, married 12 of those. Amazing, and to think we're only 35 and 36 respectively.

You see, David is a "I've come to save the day" kind of guy. He's a provider by blood. He is not living unless he is solving, fixing, making better, thinking, planning...you get the idea. For instance, last November, right before I had baby Mia (who is now 1), we had a dilemma in our hands. We lived in a small, two bedroom condo and we were outgrowing our home quick. What do we do? Do we move? Do we rent? After thinking and praying, and thinking and praying some more, my parents convinced us to move into their home and take over the mortgage so that they can, one, leave the home in the family. And two, retire comfortably in their second home in Florida. Here is where the dilemma kicks in. The house needed work. Lots of work in David's eyes. Carpeting was old. Paint was chipped. Landscaping outdated. David had that "Here I come to save the day" look in his eyes. Faster than a speeding bullet, he whipped up a plan and in two weeks had the house full of contracters, ripping up old carpet, installing a new one, repainting, fixing, repairing and redoing the house.

Now fast forward to March. Now. The superhero powers don't work in reverse. You see, I can't save David from his habits. Lots of coffee, minimal vegetables, a love affair with steak. I'm learning this holistic journey is a process. A long process. And I am certainly no superwoman. I can't waive my magic wand and have David want to eat the new vegetable purees. I can't put a spell on him and have him want to drink the new fruit smoothies and juices that the kids and I have come to enjoy and dare I say, like. No. In fact, I'm learning that through this transition, this life learning, the children are the easiest to influence. I can't serve David his vegetables in the shape of a smiling face and have him react excited to devour the eyes, then the nose, and the mouth.

I planned for this journey to be a challenge with the children. A challenge I would need to embrace. An opportunity to be creative. What I didn't anticipate was this to also be a challenge with my husband, my superhero. So off I go to expand another part of my creativity. How can I help David learn to embrace these healthy changes? How can I help this be more natural to him too? "Off I go..." I think to myself as I grab my invisible red cape and magic wand, and begin sifting through the internet for new creative ideas for Mr. Incredible. Up, Up, and Away...

2 comments:

  1. So intrigued by this mission of yours and a BIG HORRAY for you on achieving it with your babies, cannot imagine it was an easy one, but please do tell as you continue this mission what works and does not work for you. Looking forward to reading some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're enjoying it! It's definitely a lot of learning and I'll try to do my best to chronicle it as we go along. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete