Monday, May 7, 2012

Chip In.



They say children learn through imitation. Scary. Scary to think we adults have so much influence over these little creatures. What's even scarier is that they believe everything we say and do. They grasp onto our words and actions as though we are walking, talking encyclopedias. Scary...but empowering. Just to think, I - nose wiping, butt cleaning, family feeding, dog bathing, grocery shopping, car messing, tiredly managing, simply thanking momma - have the power to positively impact my children.

Growing up in a conservative, traditional Christian, Puerto Rican family, my parents had strong beliefs in certain traditions that were important to them. One such tradition was the cleaning of our home on Saturday mornings. This tradition meant much more than simply cleaning. The significance of this act meant we were taking the time to help one another and to collectively help our home. Simply put, "chip in."

We had a routine. Every Saturday morning my parents would allow my brother and I to have some bonding time and we'd camp out in our family room, blankets and pillows sprawled across the carpet, bowl of cereal in one hand and remote control in the other. We would digest our cartoons for a good hour in preparation for the chores that awaited us. Soon after, we would hear my mother's flip flops clicking across the kitchen to find us and remind us of our duties. Our Saturdays would sometimes look like this:

JR: Mowing the lawn or picking weeds
Me: Folding the laundry, dusting the living room, washing the dishes

Sometimes we would trade. It really didn't matter and my parents didn't care as long as the chores got done. It was such a part of our life that I always remember it existing. Just as we always brushed our teeth in the morning, we always had chores on Saturday. We always chipped in. And that was that.

Fast forward 20-25 years and here I am, married with my own two children, ages one and four. It is now my turn to begin instilling values and traditions to our children. The thought of it completely overwhelms me as my mind begins outlining all of the values that I was raised with:
...be polite
...respect elders
...respect authority figures
...be kind
...be loving
...be thankful
...be educated
...be proud of your heritage
...appreciate music
...be accepting
...count your blessings
...
...
...and the list continues...

In true Figueroa fashion, I have begun the tradition of Saturday morning cleaning with my children, AKA, help your family and chip in. (Mami and papi would be so proud). We get up, have breakfast, chat, and then begin cleaning. Our routine is adjusted obviously because my little ones are just that, little. They mostly imitate me by taking a wash cloth and wiping anything they see. This is what we lovingly call the Clean Up game. But it is also one of the powerful ways I can positively influence them, even if by just imitation. I decided to also make our cleaning into a Science lesson and now involve Daniel to help me make natural cleaning products. This past weekend he learned how to measure and mix the amounts needed to make a cleaning solution out of vinegar, castile soap, water, and tea tree oil. We then labeled the bottle and he happily began spraying our kitchen, while Mia toddled behind him wiping the residue off anything he had finished wiping.

So although on the surface my parent's philosophy of cleaning may seem mundane and old fashioned, at its core it instilled values of honor, family, and helping that I still carry with me today. Taking these values and using them to educate my own children is empowering and not scary at all.





(Image by Young Post)

No comments:

Post a Comment