Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Make Your Own: Sock Puppets

Are you counting down the days until Spring like me?

Don't get me wrong. I love the winter holidays and the first fall of snow...then...
.....I'm over it.

I want it to end. And I want Spring. Stat! To no avail, I must wait like everyone else. 

To help combat cabin fever, I find myself looking for new craft and game ideas to do with the kids. 

Then, I came across some of Daniel's old clothes that I had been meaning to donate or throw away and thought we could use the socks for puppets! We were inspired after reading one of Daniel's favorite authors, Laura Numeroff. In her book, "If you give a Moose a Muffin", the Moose makes puppets and the book provides a simple tutorial on how to make your own. 

So we got to it! We picked out a few of Daniel's old socks. He colored his orange with black stripes and I colored mine green. From there, we just let our imagination take over. Here are some of the steps we took to make our "Tigre" and "Sapo" as Mia lovingly named them.

You will need:
1. Old socks
2. Scissors
3. Markers
4. Pompoms/Googly-Eyes
5. Pipe-cleaners or other decor (optional)

Here is "Sapo". Read below to see how we made him and his friend "Tigre".




1. Find an old sock and color your heart out. Daniel colored his orange and black.

2. Flip it over and cut out part of the sole. You may want to try it on your hand first and mark approximately where you will need to cut.

3. Take the piece you cut and lay it on top of a piece of cardboard. You will need to cut the cardboard to about that same size. The cardboard will act as a mouth. We used an old cereal box.

4. Place your cut cardboard onto a piece of felt or foam.

5. Cut the felt/foam slightly larger than your cardboard.

6. Glue the edges of the felt/foam to the cardboard. I used a hot glue gun. Doesn't have to be neat. 

7. Fold this in half.

8. Glue the felt/foam piece into the cut-out part of your sock. You should place it behind the opening of the sock. We then added a foam tongue for fun.

9. Then decorate! We added two white pom-poms and googly-eyes on top and a green pom pom for the nose.


The kids put the puppets to work right away and put on a puppet show! 
(And yes, Mia is wearing an elephant costume. Don't ask. Ha!)



xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment